• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure

Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48957

If an automatic garage door reverses direction when resistance is put to it but does not have the eye-beam feature that reverses it, is that ok or does it by code need to have BOTH?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Orange County Home Inspector serves Orange County California as a property inspector and I travel to L.A. San Diego and Riverside as well. I travel anywhere in the world as a Construction Defects Expert Witness, I also do Reserve Studies for HOA's. Licensed Gen Contractor, ICC Certified Bldg...

Re: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48958

Code Schmode.  It is not safe if there are children or pets in the home or area.  Recommend upgrade as a safety issue.

New units cannot be sold without the sensors since the change in Federal Law in 1993.

www.dasma.com/PDF/Publications/TechDataS...ectronics/TDS351.pdf

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48959

Thanks, I had already comepleted and sent the report with the safety recommendation. I don't cite code in my reports, I was just curious if the code demanded both sensors.

Mike

The Orange County Home Inspector serves Orange County California as a property inspector and I travel to L.A. San Diego and Riverside as well. I travel anywhere in the world as a Construction Defects Expert Witness, I also do Reserve Studies for HOA's. Licensed Gen Contractor, ICC Certified Bldg...

Re: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48960

I use this verbiage in regards to older openers lacking sensors.

opener is not equipped with infra red sensors that enable the door to auto - reverse, which is obviously a desirable safety feature.

I recommend installing safety sensors, or updating the older opener, that typically has an extension cord an a ungrounded outlet, but sensors are not required on an older opener.

Now if the reverse by force is non operational or not present then this is a safety concern as you obviously know.

I mean a 1960's opener functional with a operation safety reverse does not by code require safety sensors. You need to look at all the components, door, springs, opener, electrical and safety features.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Last Edit: by David Macy.

Re: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48979

even though it can no longer be manufactured and sold, there are no requirement for any real estate owner to upgrade their property to existing requirements unless major renovation is to be performed and permits required.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Garage door auto reverse light AND resistance closure 11 years 9 months ago #48983

I write it up as a safety issue. "There is no photo-electric eye to trigger the auto-reverse should a person or pet pass in the door's traveling path. The door will only reverse after striking the object (person, pet, or child) which could cause injury".

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.