• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HVAC

HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #3979

I inspected a new house today and noticed the blower for the HVAC unit would periodically come on and off like you would think it normally would, only the thermostats heat cold switch was in the off position and the blower was in the auto position.  Everything tells me this should not be happening as its in the off position.

Is this a new feature or just not working correctly?

I checked the temp as normal and it looked good.  But when the blower was on while the thermostat was in the off position the temp was just about the same.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #3981

If the blower was in the auto position it sounds like it's doing what it was supposed to, circulating air? What was the temperature it was blowing at? Same as it was inside the house?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #3982

It was about 2ºF cooler.  Basically the same.  Problem is, when the heat/cool switch is in the off position the unit should not come on at all.  The blower switch has an auto/on position.  If its in the on position it will stay on all the time.  If its in the auto position the blower should only come on when the heater or the AC kicks on then it should shut of when the heat or AC shuts off.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.

Re: HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #3983

Okay the buyer found out some info and got back to me. 

They said "I believe our home is equipped with a indoor air ventilation system with a fan recycler that recycles the air on a timed basis.  I believe this feature runs on a timed basis and will run even if the thermostat is turned off."

This was what I thought might be happening but had never seen this before.  Have any of you ran into this before?

HLC Home Inspections LLC

Re: HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #3999

John - I didn't see this post until just now.  If I don't see a new post entry I don't check them.  Should check more often!

Sounded like an upgrade filtration system when I first read it.  If they don't have a special filter in there, it may call for one, or is designed for one.  Did they buy it because of an asthmatic in the house? 

Air movement is the new wave.  Keeps down stagnant air, mold development, temperature variations and so forth.  Filters the air well.  They are good systems and use little energy.  Your people were smart to get it.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: HVAC 15 years 5 months ago #4018

This house was designed to be very energy efficient (lots of insulation).  I explained to the buyer some of the draw backs to heavily insulated homes and pointed out some of the features they added to the house to allow it to breath (vents of the doors for every bedroom). 

Because of the energy efficient design, I wondered if the HVAC was designed to circulate the air but had never seen one do it.  This was a first for me.  It makes sense!!!

HLC Home Inspections LLC

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.