• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Venting Question

Venting Question 13 years 5 months ago #36839

I found this on an inspection today.  PVC vent/fresh air intake protrude through the roof, but shouldn't they be further apart? 
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Venting Question 13 years 5 months ago #36842

There are better ways to install the vent than the one pictured. It would look better and would of only required one roof penetration.

The furnace manufacturer would have venting tables and installation requirments for this application. Some can be differant.

Take a look at this document. http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/iik-kgavt-01.pdf

Look at the roof installation.

Not sure this helps. Maybe if Dave Anderson see's this he could advise.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Last Edit: by David Macy.

Re: Venting Question 13 years 5 months ago #36844

Here is another pic I got of the set up.  Seems to me that water is going to get down the straight pipe (I could see condensation as I looked down it) and the vent is pointed right at the intake. 

But then again, I think I'm losing my mind.  I know I hung my coat somewhere in my house tonight, and can not find it...anywhere... ??? :o ???
Attachments:

Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Venting Question 13 years 5 months ago #36845

It seems to me they are trying to prevent a "snowball" in the intake pipe. That will shut down the system.

The straight pipe should be the exhaust. It's ok for water to go down it. Condensation will occur in the pipe and should flow "Back" to the furnace (so it doesn't freeze) where there is a drain for this condensate.

Considering your climate zone, snow is a factor and the intake can not be blocked. Thus the high neck.

Also we do not want exhaust blowing across the intake as the low pressure causes it to freeze (even when it's not freezing).
The neck turn down is below the exhaust  and they put it close so the exhaust vapor doesn't get sucked into the opening.

As David pointed out, a concentric termination kit is generally the norm. Just one roof penetration. Exhaust and intake can't mix...

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Venting Question 13 years 5 months ago #36846

Thanks guys...I started thinking that I'd mixed the 2 pipes up after a closer look and thinking of the snow factor.  I was even thinking if they had turned the elbowed pipe the other direction it would have been better.  Something new every day...:)

Re: Venting Question 13 years 4 months ago #36853

Thanks Dave A.

appreciate the expertise!!

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.