• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Water heater/woodburner in one flue

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14279

• Ian Niquette
  • Ian Niquette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
I talked to several heating guys and a few plumbers, and they all stated that a solid burning unit needs to have its' own flue. Venting a gas into this flue is a very hazardous situation, and is not allowed. this was just done recently, as they knocked the cap off the masonry chimeny on a reroof. So, I am sure someone just did it, without checking into the hows and whys of venting exhaust for these items. Hope they fix it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14280

OK thanks Ian and Tim

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14391

I talked to several heating guys and a few plumbers, and they all stated that a solid burning unit needs to have its' own flue.

Very true. Solid fuels are "too dirty" to be sharing flues. From what I understand, only gas burning appliances can share flues if the flues has the proper "Y" flue union. I believe such unified flues shall also be 1.5 times the volume of the individual flues.

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14566

• Tim
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nick, if you see a "Y" connection, you should be recommending further review by a licensed Plumbing Contractor or ask to see the manufacturers installation manual.
Here all gas vent connections are usually installed by the HVAC contractor BUT they fall under the Plumbers C-O-D-E for compliance

Have a great day

Tim

link: www.timshomeinspections.com/
page title:TIMS HOME INSPECTIONS
description: Maryland Home Inspector providing inspection services in western Maryland, and the surrounding ares which include Washington, Frederick, Allegheny counties and some areas of Pennsylvania
keywords:licensed home...

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14775

I always thought wood nneded it's own flue. It burns so hot and it is very dirty even if you burn the best hardwood it is still dirtier than gas for sure. I know that when I went to school my instructor told me that wood has the hottest exhaust

Safe At Home Inspections,Inc.
Home Inspections performed in Darien, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, Woodridge, Naperville, Aurora, and surrounding areas in Illinois
www.safeathomeinspect.com

Re: Water heater/woodburner in one flue 14 years 10 months ago #14776

I think some times you can put two wood burners on one flue if they are on different floors I have to check thanks for bringing this up i need to brush up

Safe At Home Inspections,Inc.
Home Inspections performed in Darien, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, Woodridge, Naperville, Aurora, and surrounding areas in Illinois
www.safeathomeinspect.com
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.