• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thermal imagers

Thermal imagers 6 years 3 months ago #64114

Im considering a thermal imaging camera to help identify latent problems inside walls, and not for energy audits. Some of the portable "attach to your phone" cameras look attractive like the Seek Compact Pro or the Flir One or the compact Flir C2. Does anyone have any insight on these?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Thermal imagers 6 years 3 months ago #64117

They are just toys.
I recommend a Flir E4 or E8...

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thermal imagers 6 years 3 months ago #64125

• Chris Duphily
  • Scranton Pa Commercial Building Inspections & IR
  • Thank you received: 0
Taking level I at Infraspection or FLIR will help you decide which camera is right for you. I highly recommend attending a course before buying a camera.

best of luck!

Link Info:
A2Z Inspection Services & IR Thermal Imaging
NACBI Member ID 0710-00014PA
Commercial building inspections and Thermal Imaging inspections
serving Pennsylvania, Central New York & Northern New Jersey...

Thermal imagers 6 years 2 months ago #64193

Couple of comments Mr. Lind -

First it's more difficult than you might think. I've taken a couple of courses and I'm learning, I don't really advertise my thermal imaging I just use it as a tool for now, but there are a number of tricks to learn and also some temperature differentials that are needed that can be a little hard to obtain sometimes. Don't get me wrong - stick with it - just be patient and don't oversell yourself too quickly or you might get called out on something.

I haven't operated many cameras, only demoed a couple very short term and then I bought a Testo 875i with some extras based on a recommendation from a couple of guys on here or maybe another forum. I've been pretty happy with the camera, but I'll admit I see some other guy's photos that are sharper and I get a little iR envy. Most seem to be shooting with Flir cameras and most are also paying about twice as much for their cameras than what I paid...but they bought higher resolution cameras too. I've got around $4800 in mine...maybe the compact units will do what you want, but everyone I know has put quite a bit more in to their iR systems. I had the money so I did too...I think I'd spend more if I were to do it again.

Take a class, learn the lingo, establish a budget, then talk to some manufacturers and see if you can get your hands on a few to try.

Good luck and have fun with it!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.