• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grading Blocks, or diverters?

Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54279

Can anyone tell me what these are? There are several placed all around the perimeter of a house foundation that has negative grading toward the house. They are made of plastic, and weigh about 10 lbs each, and have a bunch of holes thru them, and these "directional arrows".

I think they are diverters, or a way to dissapate the water that would pool up or gather at the foundation.

Any clues? 
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54280

What ever they are?, the way they have been randomly placed can have no beneficial effect on keeping rain water away from the property.

Title: pre purchase building surveys
Url: www.propertyhealthcheck.ie
Body: Our thorough Pre-Purchase Building Survey will mean that YOU won?t get stuck buying a Money Pit. We offer Premium Pre-Purchase Building Surveys that assist our clients in making informed decisions before buying their...

Re: Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54284

Did you lift one? Since you mentioned 'negative grading' is it possible these sit on pea gravel or sand to prevent dirt/debris from clogging to allow faster draining to the perimeter drain tile?

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54285

I did lift a few. 10 or so years ago, a family member dug out the perimeter to the basement, and attempted to waterproof the block. Perhaps these were used on top of the gravel and fill, which to me would only work if they were end-to-end and surrounding the perimeter. They are sparatically placed, most close to the foundation, but a few I have found buried 2 feet from the structure in flowerbeds.

It's an old rental house owned by my mother in law. I am fixing it up for her so she can sell it or rent it again.

It really appears dynamite will be the cheapest, fastest route to put this POS out of its misery.  ::)

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas

Re: Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54286

I think you have your answer Mike. As for placement, same as you would see Storm Sewers scattered along a street.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: Grading Blocks, or diverters? 10 years 8 months ago #54287

Thanks, Jeffrey-that's what I was thinking. The house is pretty much a moat-surrounded by a concrete sidewalk 4 feet away from structure with all surrounding land and grading sloping toward the structure. She had a sump pump installed with the typical trenches in the basement interior, then piped to 10 feet away. Trouble is, the water, IMO, is simply recirculating, since the 10 feet is basically sloping right back toward the house. The idiots located the discharge on the opposite side of the house of the sump. Would have been easier to discharge on the same side as the pump, would have take 60 feet less pipe, and into a grated storm drain. They just didn't want to go under a sidewalk.  >:(

Now I have to undo what she paid someone to do, and do it right. Wanna see my surprised face???? ::) ::)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.