• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cat space

Cat space 13 years 8 months ago #34370

The home had a crawl off the basement. Family room above. I had the code and as I went to open doors I noticed a strong odor in the family room.

I proceded with the exterior inspection and the crawl had an exterior access. Opened it and found damaged, improperly installed insulation, vegetation growing, exposed electrical and a strong odor. (Pic 1).

I observed the steps that enetered the family room above the crawl. Numerous issues, loose, poorly constructed, no rail and observed a kitten going underneath.
(Pic 2)

Then in the basement there was another access to the crawl. Opened it up and real stron ammonia odor, overgrown vegetation, damaged insulation and I noticed the steps were open on the other end. No wonder it was a catspace. Why the heck do you need 3 access areas. (Pic 3)

Now the family room had multiple issue, and the roof above had multiple issues.

So my recommendations were to have the entire crawl area reviewed for repair, replacement or removal. No need for 3 access areas, just have the one off the basement. The steps being open was just stupid.

Just thought I would share.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Cat space 13 years 8 months ago #34372

I have three access points to my crawl space, each is close to the plumbing in the kitchen and two baths so I see no problem with that. I love cats but the wild one's can sure make a stinking mess. :)

I've Been Rich and I've Been Poor "Rich" is Better
Fitzgerald Home Inspection
Link URL: www.sanfernandovalleyhomeinspection.com/
Body:Providing the best Home Inspections,Los Angeles and Ventura Counties 818-929-4860
Key Words:San Fernando Valley home inspections,Home...

Re: Cat space 13 years 8 months ago #34374

I disagree on this particular crawlspace. It was a very small area, maybe a 15X20 room above.

From an energy stand point the wood exterior cover is a waste and access is with 2 screws so easy break in to house.

The 2nd access the steps was just stupid and needs to be sealed behind the stpes in my opinion.

The basement access would be the way to go. This could be an insulated acess.

The 3 access areas was not my major concern. It was the general condition in the crawl, the room itself and the failing roof above, along with poorly constructed steps allowing animal, insect and moisture intrusion into the crawl area.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.