• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sidewalk "Repair"

Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 9 months ago #17218

The reputation has gotten around that I am the go-to inspector for new construction inspections.  I think that has happened because I am good when dealing with buyers and building supervisors.  Being in the middle is never a comfortable place to be, but I find myself there a lot and seem to be good at it.

Such was the case recently.  I met the buyers, Realtor and supervisor in front of the house. This photo below is what we saw as we first walked up the driveway.  This kind of thing makes my stomach go uh-oh...

A corner had chipped off the front sidewalk and someone who knows nothing about concrete tried to fix it.

Other words come to mind, but let's just call this "unprofessional."

When I first saw it that cracking was not there.  That happened during the inspection when they pressure washed the area!  Just the water pressure alone caused this "patch" to break off!

I am italicized.  Here is how the inspection started:

This is not the best way to repair this broken sidewalk.  It will not last long at all.

Supervisor:  Why not?  (Now excuse me, if you have to ask that question, you may be in the wrong business...)

Buyer:  What should have happened?

The last section of sidewalk should have been cut off and re-poured.  And to answer the other question, this is the entrance to the house, this patch sticks out like a sore thumb because it looks infantile, it is an inch thick at best, will not adhere to the original sidewalk and will crack off soon, perhaps as soon as someone steps on it.
  (Little did I know they were going to pressure wash it and break it off then!)

Supervisor:  That's ridiculous!  Cutting it off and re-pouring a whole section of sidewalk is a lot of work for such a small area!  I've seen concrete fixed like this many times.

Maybe you have.  That does not mean it was done correctly.  This is not the way to fix it right.  Cutting off the end section and re-pouring it is the only way to fix it right.  You do want it to last, don't you?  I guarantee that Oglethorpe and Volcanica (not the buyer's real names) do.

Supervisor:  Well, if the rest of the inspection is going to go like this we are going to have problems!

I'm smiling as I look at him and say:  If the rest of the house has half-assed work like this YOU are going to have problems.  This house is your signature.  Don't you want to DO IT RIGHT?

Supervisor:  How's this.  When that cracks we will fix it your way.  Is that okay?

Ask your buyer.  That isn't up to me.  I just call'em like I see'em.  I hope Oglethorpe and Volcanica (not their real names) holds you to that promise.  You are giving it to him in writing, right?

Buyer:  I'd like that in writing, sure!

As I was leaving the pressure wash had already cracked the "repair!"  I just went back inside, got the supervisor, Realtor, Oglethorpe and Volcanica (not their real names), took them outside and NOT SAYING A WORD, pointed at the already cracked "repair."  I did smile and wink at Oglethorpe (not his real name).

Then I got in my SUV and rode off into the sunset!  Have gun, will travel...

My recommendation:
  Call'em like you see'em.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 9 months ago #17222

Nice call :)

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 8 months ago #17262

Uggg not pretty.  I think God loves you.  For you to call that out, then get him to make that promise, then to have it break while you were still there...  God loves you!!!  lol   :D

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 8 months ago #17298

How did the rest of the inspection go?
Any more chances to put this guy in his rightful place?

Jeff Moore BTR#49250 Home Inspector and Thermographer
Every Home Inspected as if it were for my Mother
Home Inspections and Thermal Imaging serving Mesa Gilbert Scottsdale Phoenix Glendale Peoria Tempe and surrounding cities
www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Re: Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 8 months ago #17301

Adrian - that worked out pretty well!

Jeff - the usual - missing floor molding, paint dripped all over hardwood flooring and ceramic floor tiles, missing insulation over one bedroom, no purple primer on lots of drain lines, a gap in the vinyl siding, vinyl siding debris filling a couple of gutters, drywall that wasn't sanded prior to painting, and more... you know, the usual...

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Sidewalk "Repair" 14 years 8 months ago #17304

And that's... the usual!

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.