• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Determining Electrical Service

Re: Determining Electrical Service 14 years 11 months ago #11721

Not judging!  1979 is a later version so there is no aluminum branch circuitry, at least!  Those are typical FPE attachment screws too!

Carrying around cable samples is a good idea too!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Determining Electrical Service 14 years 11 months ago #11728

Yeah first thing that caught my eye was the aluminum wiring, which clued me in to see if any branch wiring was aluminum tool.

Cable samples was my instructors idea, until we can gauge it with our eyes.  I went to Lowe's and got short samples for free!

It looks like the panel is in good shape with the exception of that one wire having some indications of heating.  But that looks like it might have been caused from when they stripped the insulation and cut into the wiring.

Whatever the cause, its no bueno.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Determining Electrical Service 14 years 9 months ago #15047

By Jeff Pope:

In newer services, the service disconnect (main breaker) is the most accurate measurement of the service capacity - 100A, 125A, 150A, 200A and 400A are the most common on modern homes.

The size of the service entrance conductors (SEC) is your first indicator - note: the SEC's should not be confused with the drop or lateral conductors, which are the responsibility of the utility company. The conductor size of the drop or lateral has no correlation on the residential capacity.

When there is no single service disconnect, use a "conductor ampacity" chart to determine the max current for a given conductor size. The SMALLEST conductor between the bus bars and the utility connection point will be your maximum service capacity indicator. The next limiting factor is the panel rating.

Example; The utility is connected to the SEC. The SEC are 2/0 copper (visible entering the mast) with a capacity of 200A.

The SEC entering the panel are 1/0 copper from behind the meter (many times this is not visible), which have a max rating of 175A.

The panel is rated for 200A with a split-bus, requiring six throws for disconnecting all power.

Your maximum service capacity in this example is 175A based on the smallest conductor.

You cannot use the meter rating or the lateral/drop conductors when factoring service capacity.

Re: Determining Electrical Service 14 years 9 months ago #15059

Hey Billy,

Nice to see you participating on the forum ;)

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.