• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Determining Electrical Service

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 2 weeks ago #11689

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave,
Is your meter base truly a 60 amp meter or is it still a round one with an updated meter?  I have run across many of the older round shaped bases (typically considered 60 amp) which have been updated with newer meters rated at much higher amps but still retaining the old round base.
If it was truly a 60 amp meter I would have to call your service 60 amps.  Then I would let the electrician have the final say.  I just would not want to call a service 100 amps and then have the insurance company call it 60 amps and deny insurance for the new homeowner who is calling me for the cost of the required upgrade.

But again, I rarely run across a true 60 amp meter any more.  Most have been internally upgraded to a newer 100 amp or more.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 2 weeks ago #11691

Thats what I was thinking too.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 2 weeks ago #11694

• James Levy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • NJ#24GI00101400, FL # HI7765
  • Thank you received: 0
It looks like 100a. but who cares? It's a Federal, tell'm to dump it!

www.homespectllc.com
Homespect LLC
Home and commercial Inspections in Medford, Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton NJ, and the surrounding areas.

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 2 weeks ago #11696

Dump it?  Its mine man!  I'm sellin it, along with the house!  lol

HLC Home Inspections LLC
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 1 week ago #11708

I always judge it by the size of the service cable UNDER the electric meter entering the house.  I can judge it by sight for size.  Professional Equipment sells a gage, called "Service Entrance Cable Gauge."  I was unable to bring it up online (they say their product number is E835, but that brings up nothing).  Call them at 800-334-9291.  The cost is $13.95.

John - of all the boxes, that FPE Stab-lok is the worst.  They are almost always 150 amps, but I have seen a few for 125.  How old is the house, late 60's, early 70's?

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Determining Electrical Service 15 years 1 week ago #11714

I know I know.  Don't judge Don't judge.  lol  House was built 1979

I have seen those cable gauges.  I have thought about getting one.  Right now I carry wire samples to compare to.

HLC Home Inspections LLC

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.