• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Electrical Panel Question

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6050

Please explain if the local authorities allow grandfathering to an exzisting panel as this was not an issue or code at this time.

I also called out doubled neutrals but just wanted to ask.

In that case, I simply let them know that this was common practice but is no longer allowed in most jurisdictions and then recommend repair as a safety upgrade (similar to adding GFCI's in appropriate places).  But I don't make a huge issue out of it.  LEt the client decide what is significant or not.  I just observe and report, and share my knowledge with them. For a fee!  :)

Could you give me an example of how you would note in your report.

I use Safety Issue, Repair, Deferred cost, Improve and other notations.

Just would like to see how you and others report this condition.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6051

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
"Neutral wires are doubled or bundled together on the neutral bus bar. Although common practice in the past, this is unsafe due to the need to turn off multiple circuit breakers to work on any of the circuits using these wires. A qualified electrician should evaluate and repair as necessary."

Mark it as a safety issue, recommend further evaluation and repair.

I don't like to determine for my clients what appears in the summary so I either include all noted items in the summary or don't include a summary at all.  What may seem like an important issue to approach the sellers with may not be so for the buyers. And what I consider to be a minor issue that I could repair myself may be an issue that the clients want to approach the sellers with.  All too often the summary is the only thing paid attention to.  I look at it as if I deem it important enough to document, the client needs to pay attention to it and not just the highlighted issues.  Make sense? 

These are just my opinions.  I have heard of inspectors who have to deal with problem calls because something was noted in the main report but didn't make it to the summary and the clients (and realtor) never read the full report... just the summary.  Yes it's their own fault, but I don't like problem calls and so try to prevent them up front.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info
Last Edit: by Bill Warner.

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6053

Thanks Bill well said.

May I use your verbage?

Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6054

Grandfather is allowed here but if any work is done to that panel it is required to be brought to code.  Also, I don't try to keep track of when something was code or not code at some point in time.  That's just way too much info to try and remember.  If I see something that needs updating I mention it and say it not the best practice and it should be done this other way.

As for my report, if I feel its a hazardous or potentially hazardous condition I put it in the summary page.  But I go over everything with my customer at the end of the inspection.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6057

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
Ye

Thanks Bill well said.

May I use your verbage?

Yes you may!  :)

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 2 months ago #6060

Thanks

The best I could do in return was add 1 to your Karma. :)

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.