• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Electrical Panel Question

Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6034

I would like to know how I can determine if an electrical panel is designed for double tapping of neutrals on the neutral bus?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6035

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
None are John.

It was a common practice by older electricians.

Grounds can be bundled up to 3 (of the same gauge wire) under the same lug, but neutrals are not allowed to be bundled with themselves nor with grounds under the same lug of the buss bar.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6036

Okay thanks, I thought I read some place that some panels were designed to allow for this.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6037

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Some circuit breakers are designed to allow for double taps, but no buss bars that I'm aware of.  Code no longer allows doubling or bundling of neutrals.

Circuit breakers that are designed to allow double taps will have a plate beneath the lug/screw which is designed to accept 2 wires.  Square D type QO are this design.

Bill Warner
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6042

Please explain if the local authorities allow grandfathering to an exzisting panel as this was not an issue or code at this time.

I also called out doubled neutrals but just wanted to ask.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Electrical Panel Question 15 years 3 months ago #6045

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Please explain if the local authorities allow grandfathering to an exzisting panel as this was not an issue or code at this time.

I also called out doubled neutrals but just wanted to ask.

In that case, I simply let them know that this was common practice but is no longer allowed in most jurisdictions and then recommend repair as a safety upgrade (similar to adding GFCI's in appropriate places).  But I don't make a huge issue out of it.  LEt the client decide what is significant or not.  I just observe and report, and share my knowledge with them. For a fee!  :)

Bill Warner
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.