• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Eletrical panel questions

Re: Eletrical panel questions 15 years 3 months ago #4868

I post the following illustration in my clients report.

John the pics you posted look fine.

On the one I posted the neutral was attached with a ground. 

Yes I was just trying to bring to light a question I have had in the past.  I guess I'm looking to see what other inspectors say about this because there's still a little inkling of a question in my mind about this.  If you look at the pic you just posted, all grounds are on one bar and all neutrals are on the other.  And the two bars should be bonded together with a bonding bar. 

What I have found when trying to research this,  mixing the grounds and neutrals isn't against code, its just sloppy.  As an inspector, I try to point things like this out because there are many building, plumbing electrical, etc. techniques that meet code but not necessarily the best practice to use in that particular field. 

In short, its cutting corners!  Oh and I like that pic, I may have to borrow it from ya.   ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Eletrical panel questions 15 years 3 months ago #4875

What I am saying is that at the very first disconnect N & G go together. If it happens to be in a breaker panel, then so be it. If it's within a main disconnect box, then that is where the bonding takes place. Past that initial point, they are kept separate.

What is the difference between a "main" and a "sub"? Some folks say there is no such thing as a sub panel... or all panels are subs. It is all about the main disconnect. That is where the bonding takes place. After that everything is the same.

Regarding mixing G & N on bars in the main, It's ok to mix, so I don't write it up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Comprehensive Home & Building Inspections
www.homeinspectionsnewyork.com
URL:Comprehensive-Home-Building-EIFS-Inspections

Certified EIFS Inspector
www.eifsinspectionsnewyork.com
URL:Comprehensive-EIFS-Home-Building-Inspections

Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, Long Island
Last Edit: by Steven Turetsky.
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.