• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fan on dimmer switch

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32250

I actually made that mistake in my house.  Installed the ceiling fan forgetting that a couple years ago I changed out the light switch to a dimmer (at the request of my loving wife!).  When I turned the fan on, it hummed like crazy!  The "D'oh" factor came into play, and it's now a simple on/off toggle.  :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32251

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
That is what one of the reports said is a disadvantage of a fan on a dimmer switch; the fan will hum.  I don't think that the hum is just a disadvantage.  It is a symptom of the fan having to work harder because it doesn't get the proper power.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32255

¡Sí!

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32419

Dimmer switches are often used with ceiling fans.  These are great to use for the lighting switch, however special dimmer switches should be used for the switch that would control the ceiling fan motor.  This type of motor dimmer is usually a three speed switch, with speeds of OFF, LOW, Medium, and HI.  Use of regular dimmer switch on a ceiling fan motor will lead to overheating of the ceiling fan motor windings, and premature failure of the ceiling fan.

If the ceiling fan is to be controlled by a remote control, the incoming hot feed would connect to the power terminal on the remote module along with the fans black and blue wires.  Some modules will also require the neutral to be connected to the remote module.  When wiring a ceiling fan for use with a remote control, wire should not go through a switch, or the remote will be disabled every time that the ceiling fan switch is turned off.

Certified Home Inspector
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32421

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Fred.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Fan on dimmer switch 13 years 10 months ago #32429

No problem!

Certified Home Inspector
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.