• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: wire guage compared to fuse size for electric heater

wire guage compared to fuse size for electric heater 14 years 1 month ago #27801

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
What is the reason that a dedicated circuit for for an electric heater can have a 20 amp fuse for #14 wire and a 30 amp fuse for #12 wire?
Thanks

edit:  Apparently this is a Canadian code thing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...
Last Edit: by Bert de Haan.

Re: wire guage compared to fuse size for electric heater 14 years 1 month ago #27853

Must be a Canadian thing - I don't think it would ever be acceptable in the US.

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...

Re: wire guage compared to fuse size for electric heater 14 years 1 month ago #27854

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
I found something.  It has something to do with a dedicated circuit not likely getting overloaded by adding appliances so it can be designed for full load.  The breaker can be 125% (I think) of the load.  To me it seems like an exception that may save a couple of dollars but I'm not convinced it is worth those few dollars.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: wire guage compared to fuse size for electric heater 14 years 1 month ago #27970

Amps times Volts equal Watts basic to deciciding if number 14 wire will work or number 12, if the heater is 1200 watts it will have 10 amps, that is all you will be able to use without tripping the breaker if you had any thing else on the system there is a chance to that you will trip the breaker.

If this had been a 20-amp circuit —one with thicker, No. 12 wire that could carry 2,400 watts—the breaker wouldn’t have tripped. But once the wire is in the wall and the breaker is in the breaker box, there’s not much you can do to upgrade an established circuit.

Fred Sweezer Sr
1-562-234-2689
fax      361-5996
www.linkedin.com/in/certifiedhomeinspection
www.theLongBeachhomeinspector.com

Certified Home Inspector
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.