• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GFCI under sink and by washer

GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26669

I have been to several houses where there is an outlet under the kitchen sink, by the washer, and for the fridge.  None of them are on GFCI.  It is recommended that a GFCI is put within 6 feet of a water source.  When I talked with an electrician they said it is not code to have the GFCI in those spots (meaning under the sink, for the fridge and for the washer).  I tell my client that I have to put it in as a recommendation even though it's not a "code" issue.  But I'm getting tired I've trying to explain the difference.  Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Goal Line Inspections
fielding your inspection needs
www.goallineinspections.com
Serving: Portland, Gresham, Beaverton and the greater Portland metro area

Re: GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26681

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
Have you checked your LOCAL codes Doug? I would think that those would be required in NEW construction by now. But, if it is an older home, it is not a requirement, because the home was built before that code went into effect. Follow me on that? You can meake recommendations that they be installed from a safety standpoint, but they are not required because the property was built before that particular code was in effect or adopted by your municipality.

For example, lets sasy GFCI outlets became a requirement in 1975. So, in homes built after 1975, you would expect to find GFCI outlets by sinks, bathrooms, basements, garages, and so on. But they would not be required in a home built in 1970.

Hope this helps. This is just my take on these items, and how I explain them. Other opinions may vary, and I'm sure you will get some different responses. good luck.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26682

Ya this was a brand new home.  The builder came buy and actually called the electrician.  I talked to the electrician on the phone and he said it wasn't.  There were GFCI's in the bathroom and over the kitchen counter it is just in those other areas (under the sink, where the fridge goes, and next to the washing machine.  I've seen it in several homes built in the 2000's that's why I was thinking it is strange.

Goal Line Inspections

Re: GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26688

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0

Ya this was a brand new home.  The builder came buy and actually called the electrician.  I talked to the electrician on the phone and he said it wasn't.  There were GFCI's in the bathroom and over the kitchen counter it is just in those other areas (under the sink, where the fridge goes, and next to the washing machine.  I've seen it in several homes built in the 2000's that's why I was thinking it is strange.

I don't think one IS required UNDER the sink. YOu probbly wouldn't one on the fridge or a freezer because of the cycle load. the wash machine I would have to look into a little further. Is the wash machine plugged into this outlet or just close to it?

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26694

Oh, that makes sense.  If it trips then the fridge is loosing power...didn't think of that.  It was just an outlet near the laundry tub. 

Goal Line Inspections

Re: GFCI under sink and by washer 14 years 2 months ago #26705

Your goto source for this kind of question is the NEC or the IRC.  2006 the code changed to require GFCI in laundry areas.  Prior to that, GFCI was not required in laundary areas.

The 6 ft rule was removed several years ago.  The rules for GFCI in kitchens is all receptacles over the countertop.  Receptacles inside cabinets and behind fridges are not over countertops and are not required to have GFCI protection. 

If you want to argue with electrician's you need to look at the code sources and not just go along on heresay or common sense. 

Attached is a document you can use to help you understand when and where GFCI protection should be in place.
Attachments:

Bruce Ramsey, ACI
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.