• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Garage Outlets

Garage Outlets 14 years 6 months ago #22088

I did an inspection today on a house built in 2005.  The garage had one outlet that was GFCI.  Then they had a work bench area that had several outlets that were not hooked up to the GFCI.  I mentioned this and the seller said that is the way the house was built and that it passed city inspections.  If I am not mistaken GFCI's were required in garages since 1978.  I know many houses have one outlet not on GFCI's for refrigerators or freezers.  So my question is, how or where do I draw the line with the outlets not on GFCI's?  Do they have to be 20 amp outlets for them to not be required to be on GFCI's?

Can someone enlighten me please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Garage Outlets 14 years 6 months ago #22091

I guess I call them out if they're in a potentially wet area; garage, bath, kitchen, etc.  People do crazy things and kind of lose their minds when liquids and electricity are involved.  I'm not sure about the 20 Amp situation though.  Interested to hear other opinions.

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Garage Outlets 14 years 6 months ago #22092

All the dedicated outlets for fridges and freezers that I have seen were 20 amp outlets.  That's why I through that in the question. 

I called them out as needing to be on GFCI's.  By what I know (as of right now), all outlets in garages need to be on GFCI's since 1978 excluding the one dedicated outlet for fridges and freezers.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.

Re: Garage Outlets 14 years 5 months ago #22099

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
John, you are correct, they need to be protected. The easy way around that is not to say that it is required(not code inspectors). Just put it in there under potential safety hazards and make it an upgrade for personal safety. Who can argue with that? No one in their right mind.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: Garage Outlets 14 years 5 months ago #22107

Yeah I could go that rout.  But who wants easy?  LOL  Thanks for your help.

HLC Home Inspections LLC

Re: Garage Outlets 14 years 5 months ago #22108

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
My estimate would be that what used to be a dedicated (single) receptacle for a fridge or freezer has now been modified or improperly utilized to accommodate multiple receptacles for a work bench.  This is improper and GFCI protection should be recommended. It is up to the client what they want to do with the information. All we can do is observe and report. 

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.