• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can you do this?

Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16897

• Joe Tedesco
  • Joe Tedesco's Avatar Topic Author
  • IAEI Certified Electrical Inspector since 1979
  • Thank you received: 0
Name the equipment and conductors here according to industry standards, for example: GEC, MBJ, Neutral, etc.
The winner gets to see my new Puppy!

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Joe Tedesco, NEC® Consultant

Re: Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16898

I got no clue. Is it for an electric chair?

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16909

• Joe Tedesco
This picture shows a panelboard located inside of a cabinet and it has a 200 amp main. I took this picture over 35 years ago when I was the Electrical Inspector in Glendale, California.

The supply is a Type SE cable assembly

"338.2 Definitions.
Service-Entrance Cable. A single conductor or multiconductor assembly provided with or without an overall covering, primarily used for services, and of the following types:

Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering.
Type USE. Service-entrance cable, identified for underground use, having a moisture-resistant covering, but not required to have a flame-retardant covering."

NEC 2008 Courtesy: NFPA www.nfpa.org

www.unitedcopper.com/specs/wire/SER_sheet.pdf

PS: I just love copper!
www.southwire.com/productCatalog/images/...SEU,SEcopper_RGB.jpg

Re: Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16911

Was that OK back then? Is it OK now?

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16913

• Joe Tedesco
Mike:

Yes on both questions.

This picture was used in the IAEI Soares Book on Grounding and Bonding. www.iaei.org

The original book, by Eustace Soares was editied by Phil Simmons and Joe Tedesco back in the 90's; and when the IAEI changed the format to include color images this was one that was used.

Instructors worlwide use this to explain the different parts of the system.

I have a short power point piece that was developed by Redwood Kardon when we worked for NTT, Inc.

I will see if I still have it and I will be happy to send it to those who email me for that information.

Re: Can you do this? 14 years 9 months ago #16943

I have a question for you.  I live in Oklahoma and recently sold my house.  The person that inspected my house noted double tapped neutral returns in my panel and suggested they be singled up.  I would have called out the same if I were doing the inspection too. 

I was there when the electrician came to do the work and he made the comment that it has never been against code to double up neutral returns.  I see them doubled up on probably 75% of the houses I inspect.  How is it that these electricians are getting away with this? 

I also see grounds and neutral returns mixed on both buss bars and use to call this out as sloppy electrical work.  Don't really say too much about this anymore.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.