• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Refrigerator GFCI

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16090

David hit it dead on.
If this is something that has come up (added) in the local code I would also call it a nuisance trip.
At least you warned them and they can't come after you. If some thing does happen, the builder and electrician and whoever came up with that wonderful idea would have some splaining to do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gerry Pallotta
Alota Home Inspection Services
Greater Toronto Area Home Inspector
Mississauga Home Inspector
Inspecting the following areas
Toronto,Mississauga,Brampton,Oakville,Vaughan,Richmond Hill,Markham and Pickering

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16100

It's not something in the local code, but from what I was reading the 2008 NEC is a bit ambiguous as to the situation. Like Davin said, the one within 6 feet of the sink has to be on GFCI, the others seem to be up to interpretation. I'll try to find the info I was reading on it and post it.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16105

www.codecheck.com/cc/gfci_principal.htm
Some info here doesn't say if it's code or not, but mentions that fluorescents or major alliances should not be on GFCI protected circuits.

Gerry Pallotta
Toronto,Mississauga,Brampton,Oakville,Vaughan,Richmond Hill,Markham and Pickering

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16106

I just got off the phone with the head of Boise electrical code enforcement. He said there is some confussion because the new code is that all outlets in the garage are to be on GFCI outlets, no more dedicated circuits for refrigerators, freezers, vacuum, or water softener . I guess since it mentions the dedicated outlet for refrigerators it is getting mixed up.

He did say it is note against code to have a kitchen refrigerator on a GFCI outlet, but not recommended.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16107

So the code change has to do with the garage and nothing to do with the kitchen. Dedicated circuits still allowed in kitchen or basement for freezers and fridges etc.

Gerry Pallotta

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16108

Thats what he said, no dedicated 120v circuits in garages. It is still allowed in kitchens

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.