• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Refrigerator GFCI

Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16060

I have done three inspections on new construction the last few weeks from the same builder. The first one a few weeks ago, the refrigerator was on a GFCI outlet. I called it out as a defect. A few days later the realtor called and said the builder told him that the new code says the kitchen refrigerator has to be on a GFCI outlet. His brother is an electrician, so he called him and he verified this. I have a call into the Boise electrical code guy. I have done two other new homes in the same time and neither of those had GFCI's on refrigerator.

Anyone else come across this? Just seems very wrong to have a refrigerator on a GFCI, I see lots of spoiled food in the future. Maybe they are trying to get rid of older units that will trip most GFCI's when the condenser comes on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16067

Davin

As far as I know the refrigerator should not be on a GFCI just for the reason you stated. It may just be a local code thing.

Gerry

Gerry Pallotta
Alota Home Inspection Services
Greater Toronto Area Home Inspector
Mississauga Home Inspector
Inspecting the following areas
Toronto,Mississauga,Brampton,Oakville,Vaughan,Richmond Hill,Markham and Pickering
Last Edit: by Gerry Pallotta.

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16070

Yea, that's why I'm checking with code enforcement. It just doesn't seem correct, but when you have the builder and a separate electrician telling me that...I don't know.

Bent Nail Inspections
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16079

I did some research on this earlier as it interested me. Seems there is quite a bit of debate on this topic. I'm assuming the refrigerator was in the kitchen. How close to the sink was it?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16085

It varied, one was likely withing 6 feet. I one was on the other side of the kitchen. I understand the 6 foot rule, but with a refrigerator covering the outlet your not likely to use the outlet for other things. Especially in newer homes, there are outlets all over the kitchen.

Bent Nail Inspections
Boise home Inspections   

Re: Refrigerator GFCI 14 years 8 months ago #16089

This is my take on the scenario you described.

A GFCI is designed to protect a person from electrocution.  And they are required at all kitchen counter tops. (Depending on age of building)

A grounded outlet is designed to protect the appliance. Like the refrigerator.
Older appliances can cause the GFCI to trip and therefore clients are likely to call on the home inspector for blame. (Been there)

There is no reason for the refrigerator to be on a GFCI. On a newer appliance it is less likely to trip the GFCI.

In regards to the builder and electrician. I would still call it out and state the potential for a nuisance trip and if the client, builder and electrician do not want to replace with a standard 20 amp grounded receptacle then it would not be my fault if it trips and there $500 worth of imported steaks from Zimboobway spoil!!

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.