• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Creating a shortcut in HIP folders on Windows 8.1

Creating a shortcut in HIP folders on Windows 8.1 9 years 3 months ago #59755

I recently got a new computer that has Windows 8.1.  My previous computer had Windows 7.  I like to store my HIP files and my reports under the My Documents folder.  On my previous computer, I was able to add a folder shortcut in the HIP folders in the Program Files folder.  However, on the Windows 8.1 computer, all of the HIP folders/files in the Program files folder are marked as read only.  I have tried multiple times to change them from read only but it does not work.  Anyone know the trick to change the folders from read only?  I can change it back once I add a folder shortcut.  Thanks for your help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Creating a shortcut in HIP folders on Windows 8.1 9 years 3 months ago #59756

Hmm, that's odd. It can't be read only as you can save files in it. Are you logged into your machine as an administrator? That would definitely solve any permission issues.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Creating a shortcut in HIP folders on Windows 8.1 9 years 3 months ago #59769

There is only one user account on this computer and it is a local administrator.  The two folders (Client Data and Client Reports) are read only.  However, HIP can create files in those folders and those files are not read only.  I can delete those files.  When I try to create a shortcut in those folders, I get a pop up window that states "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" I can right-click on the folders, choose Properties uncheck the Attributes box that is Read Only.  I then click Apply and OK.  I can re-open the properties box and it is still read only.  Thanks for any advice you have.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.