• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Inspector missed things

Inspector missed things 9 years 1 week ago #60732

Hello,

First of all, I am a home buyer, and I saw that I was allowed to post on this board without registering, but I was unable to figure out how.  So I registered, but the only option I had was to register as an agent, which I am not.  Just a home buyer here.

I paid for an inspection on a house I am buying, and I asked for repairs to be done accordingly before my due diligence period ended.  The sellers agreed to fix several items, and now that the due diligence period is over, I am under contract to buy this house.

The trouble is--I did my final walkthrough before closing, and I found several problems that the inspector did not include in his report.  Since my due diligence period is over, I am stuck paying for these repairs myself.  Considering I paid for an inspection and he missed these things, I am quite upset.  I could have put these items in my repair request.  The city is the seller, so they have people on staff who could have fixed these things--a lot easier than I can. 

My inspector is ASHI certified.  I never spoke to him--which is another thing I'm angry about.  I spoke to one inspector on the phone and decided to hire him based on HIS qualifications and our conversation.  Then he sent someone else.  My husband was the one on site during the inspection.

He missed:

There is a large gap between the shower wall and the back of the faucet in the bathroom, with a hole in the wall where water would run in and cause a lot of water damage to the wall.

There is a large gap between the shower head and the shower wall in both bathrooms, with a hole in the wall where water would run in. 

The light switch for the master bedroom is broken.  It will not operate the light, but you can pull the cord to operate the light.

Do I have any recourse here?

Thanks!

ETA:  These are the relevant parts from the inspection:

Master Bathroom
Tub-Shower
Functional Components and Conditions
The tub/shower is functional.

Main Hallway Bathroom
Tub-Shower
The tub/shower is functional.

Master Bedroom
Lights
The lights are functional.

ETA: I also decided to spend $50 more on this inspector because of our conversation.  There was another inspector I could have hired for less.  Then he didn't even show up himself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Melissa Joy.

Re: Inspector missed things 9 years 1 week ago #60734

When you hire a multi-inspector firm, you are hiring the firm, not necessarily a specific inspector.  You have to ask a specific question to get a specific answer.  ASHI certified or InterNACHI certified means absolutely NOTHING other than they pay an annual fee to use that title.  Those organizations are nothing more than clubs and a way to market to the consumer.

There should be a cover plate (escutcheon) for the faucet in the shower.  They are usually brand specific but I am sure there are generic equivalents available for less money  Inside the cover plate is usually a foam gasket on the top half of the cover that diverts water around the hole.  Tighten as needed and if there is still a gap, apply a proper caulk.

There should also be a flange / cover at the top of the shower arm to cover the hole.  If you have water running uphill into the hole, you have other problems.

Install a new switch.  They are probably less than $2.  The wall switch could be for a receptacle and not necessarily a specific light fixture.

Total cost for all these items is probably under $50 if you have to purchase a new escutcheon, flange and switch.  These are minor inconveniences that can be easily repaired.  They are not major defects.  You have to remember you are not buying a new home with everything in perfect condition.

Welcome to homeownership.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Inspector missed things 9 years 1 week ago #60737

• pbh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm sorry you feel slighted, but just to clarify:

To become ASHI certified you have to pass an exam and I believe the same is true for InterNACHI, but it's an easier exam; just paying a fee is not sufficient. The items he missed are very small in the overall scheme of issues that may occur. It's not expected that every minor issue is going to be identified. Also, read his contract and see if there is a minimum threshold of what size issue will be documented eg. anything over $500 to repair or replace.

Re: Inspector missed things 8 years 10 months ago #61148

-which is another thing I'm angry about.  I spoke to one inspector on the phone and decided to hire him based on HIS qualifications and our conversation.  Then he sent someone else. 

ETA: I also decided to spend $50 more on this inspector because of our conversation.  .....hen he didn't even show up himself!

The companies that do that drive me nuts. It's bait and switch as far as I'm concerned.

As for recourse, have you tried calling them? Generally, the best way to get recourse is discuss it with the inspector or inspection company directly. 

But overall, I agree with Stephen Stanczyk, these are fairly minor repairs.

One other thing:

The light switch for the master bedroom is broken.  It will not operate the light, but you can pull the cord to operate the light.

It may not be the switch is broken, you might have a case where the cord is over riding the switch.
If you haven't already, turn it on with the cord, and then see if the switch will turn it off.

It may also be a case where the switch is tied to an outlet for a lamp and not the over head. This is common in many homes. In which case, it not be a "missed thing." 

IM Home Inspections, LLC
Home Inspector and Certified Level 1 Thermographer
23371 Mulholland Dr # 201
Woodland Hills, CA
818-298-3405
Video on Cheap Home Inspector vs Quality Home Inspector 

Re: Inspector missed things 8 years 10 months ago #61157

The pull chain is more than likely wired to the switch, that would not be considered a defect. As far as the trim not set tightly against the wall at the showered, well, water isn't going to run uphill into it. It sounds like a $5 tube of caulking will fix all the defects. In 10,000 sq ft of wall surface those are the only cosmetic defects he neglected to mention, then you got your extra $50 worth. Sounds like he did a good job IMO.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.