• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plexiglass window

Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32436

• PLEXED
  • PLEXED's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello:
I need your expertise.
My large living room window is mostly plexiglass. Would it pass a home inspection for purchase? I live in South Carolina. One pane of it warped out during the winter and I had to put a piece of cardboard in it to "reseal" it from the outside. The landlord put metal staples in several places on the widow to help keep it from doing that again. But IMHO that is about as helpful as putting a band aid over a severed artery.
We were asking for a mere $ 1,500 in inspection related repairs.
He wants to sell this house for 56K AS IS Personally I don't like that idea. It is an old mill house and just everyone says it is NOT WORTH that much.
I look forward to your response
Sincerely
Jo Anne M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32443

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
Doesn't sound up to snuff to me.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32457

• Bert de Haan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
It isn't so much a matter of passing or failing.  It is totally up to the buyer if he is willing to accept it. 
But...I can't imagine any home inspector not recommending replacing because, like Ian said, it isn't up to snuff.  Especially since it is a large window, a wind could blow it out.  And plexiglass scratches really easily.
As an aside, I think you must be a kind soul for putting up with a plexiglass window that has to be sealed with cardboard.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32493

• Darin Redding
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Certified Home Inspector in San Diego, CA
Per the 2006 version of the International Building Code you are ok to use light-transmitting plastic glazing in framed openings providing they do not have to be fire-protected.  Sounds like your situation might fit here.  Other restrictions include the fact that you cannot have plastic glazing that involves more than 25% of the entire wall surface.  There are other restrictions as well.

Two issues exist here.  First, a professional inspector will note any deficiencies in their report regarding the window.  Second, as Bert said, from a sellers perspective it ultimately depends on if the buyer accepts it.

Darin Redding, CPI
Housecall Property Inspections
san diego home inspection
foundation inspection
property inspection
rental inspection
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
619-663-8740

Re: Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32512

My thinking on this was that as per code over 9 square ft of fixed glass is required to be safety glass (tempered glass). Jo Anne called it large so I'm assuming it's well over 9 sf (3x3). She didn't mention if it was within 18" of the floor and/ or ground which also would reqiure the safety glass. Windows must also be able to withstand wind force.  Since it's warped and held up by cardboard and staples I wouldn't consider it wind force resistant or be able to withstand a human impact load as required.
Hey Darin can you site me that IRC code (location) on plastic glazing for my review and curiousity. Thanx

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Plexiglass window 13 years 10 months ago #32513

• Darin Redding
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Certified Home Inspector in San Diego, CA
I agree Joe.  Code aside, a window held up with cardboard and staples is hardly "up to snuff"  :)

Check out the 2006 IBC section 2608.1.

Stay safe!

Darin Redding, CPI
Housecall Property Inspections
san diego home inspection
foundation inspection
property inspection
rental inspection
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
619-663-8740
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.