• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Have A Nice Summer. See You Next Fall...

Have A Nice Summer. See You Next Fall... 13 years 8 months ago #34409

Some accidents aren't accidents at all.  That's because some things don't happen accidentally.  They lie in wait.

This is a homeowner-installed retaining wall, 4' high, behind a townhouse.

The wall itself is poorly constructed, bulging, coming loose and generally unsafe.

So why not put a rickety staircase against it!  Homeowner built!

This is a two-foot wide stair with five treads.  Each tread is attached to the "stringer" with two nails.  Each "stringer" is attached to the wall with one nail!

You can see the one nail just above the knot.

The stair is poorly positioned against the wall.  It is not level.  There is no handrail or guardrail on either side.  And this stair is the only way to get to the back gate.

When people see things like this they often ask me if it is to code.  Well, of course not!  But what's so impressive about the code anyway?  How about seeing something built MORE than code!

My recommendation:  Some accidents are just waiting to happen!  Beware of safety issues at every house you see.  Safety is one of the most important things home inspectors are looking for.  After all, people are actually going to live in the house inspected!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly
Last Edit: by Jay Markanich.

Re: Have A Nice Summer. See You Next Fall... 11 years 6 months ago #50359

I am often writing up exterior wooden stairs whether they are on a deck or connected to the house, they are seldom properly built...and many times an accident waiting to happen.

Matt Kiefer
Columbus Advanced Inspections
Columbus, Ohio Home Inspections

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.