• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GFCI: How would you write this up

Re: GFCI: How would you write this up 8 years 11 months ago #60963

The outlet that tested no ground will not trip with the test button as said above as it needs a ground for the tester to work and since it tripped with the outlets test button all is ok,  Well if you want to be technical it should have the " no equipment ground " sticker on it. This is of course assuming its an older two wire system.
The other outlet that did show ground but only tripped with the outlet test button again is ok, the fact that it wont trip with the tester means nothing, the test button on the outlet is what counts.
Again assuming this is an older two wire un-grounded system my only other thought would be why is the one outlet testing grounded? I would have check it for a jumper wire.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: GFCI: How would you write this up 8 years 8 months ago #61407

I would write it up as "bad ground" in my report "at the time of the inspection", and recommend it be Evaluated by a Professional Electrician for to sort it out. It is either a bad GFCI device or a bad ground and that determination should be left to someone that can fix it!

Certified Home Inspector
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com

Re: GFCI: How would you write this up 8 years 8 months ago #61408

GFCI's don't need a ground to trip.
If the outlets button trips ..all is well.
However, the outlet should be labeled" NO GROUND".

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: GFCI: How would you write this up 8 years 8 months ago #61409

Roy is correct? I personally say open ground

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/

Re: GFCI: How would you write this up 8 years 8 months ago #61434

Hi Doug, As long as the GFI trips your ok the I installed a GFI in an older 2 wire home and the instructions for the GFI allows this Yes write it up because it is an open ground and if they have another inspector drop by later he will probably write it up and they may question why you did not in your inspection. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.