• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No main & more than 6 beakers.

No main & more than 6 beakers. 12 years 1 month ago #46834

Here's my question. On a home with no main disconnect and a service panel with 6 or more breakers. Is it "law" stating that with more than 6 breakers their must be a main or is this more of a safety issue? Does this change state by state or is it under national jurisdiction?  I live in Louisiana and am somewhat unclear on the subject.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: No main & more than 6 beakers. 12 years 1 month ago #46845

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes.. it is national building code
Covered in the National Electric Code (NEC)
Adoption of specific codes is dependent on state and local jurisdictions who can strike out or adopt whatever they wish.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: No main & more than 6 beakers. 12 years 1 month ago #46865

Bill is right Gary....But 6 throws is one of those issues that is basically accepted just about everywhere(at least that I go); just like smoke/carbon at sleeping areas, GFCI within reach of water, grounding outlets, handrails on stairs, gas shut-off's...
No matter where you inspecting in the country, certain items are going be called out; especial safety concerns.  Maybe gutter extensions in Southern California is not as critical where it never rains(yes...I'm just basing my comment off a song); but in Chicago burbs you end up with a wet basement. 

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/

Re: No main & more than 6 beakers. 12 years 1 month ago #46866

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
The caveat is "switches or hand movements"
Double pole breakers or breakers tied together count as one switch

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: No main & more than 6 beakers. 12 years 1 month ago #46870

It also could be a split bus panel with one of the 6 breakers supplying the lower bus section that contains the 120 volt breakers.

Do you have a picture of the panel in question?

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: No main & more than 6 beakers. 11 years 10 months ago #49102

Also, if is a sub-panel with a main panel outside next to the meter (common around here) a main breaker(or nor more than 6 to disconnect the service) would suffice.  Pictures definitely would help.

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.