• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET

PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1446

Im currently doing the "shall i get a PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET to run HIP on? "

Currently I am taking notes and entering them in on my desktop. Seems like double duty to me.

Any Imput?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1451

Well, first you don't want a PDA as the program doesn't run on a PDA, the screen's too small (2.5 inch).

What is you want if you want small is called a UMPC. You can see a bunch of them here: www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?...28&SpeTabStoreType=3 and at www.clearanceclub.com

UMPC's are full working computers running Windows but with 5-7" screens. Quite a few of the guys are using these, especially the Samsung Q1.

Don't bother with a laptop. They work fine but data entry is MUCH faster on a Tablet as that what's the program was designed for, quick tap entry. A tablet screen swivels and lays flat, or flips back up just like a laptop. Check out the HP and Fujitsu models. The Clearance Club website I mentioned above has new and refurbished models at good prices.

I'll let other guys comment on what they are using!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1596

That's a nice link, Dom, but I would need TWO sets of glasses to do reports on any of those...

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1602

Yup the 5" and 7" inch screens aren't for those with bad eyesight. But there's enough guys who ask about doing reports on a 2.5 inch PDA screen that it's definitely worth mentioning the 7" Q1's. They have a Dual Core model due out soon too. There's quite a few guys using the Q1 and a few using the Fujitsu model and they're happy with them. I need to get them to post some reviews on here.

Dominic Maricic

Re: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1733

I am going to Toshiba.com because there is a 20% discount if you customize your own laptop.  What should I get in a customized unit?  I don't care about gaming, but enough power to do my inspection stuff and internet is important.  Also, XP or Vista?  I assume some things come automatically with any unit, but what specifically am I wanting when I customize?  Thanks, Dom...

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: PDA/LAPTOP/TABLET 15 years 10 months ago #1735

Hey Jay,

If you go with Vista make sure you have 2-3 gigs of ram. If you're using this for inspections I'd recommend you get a tablet, not a laptop as it's MUCH faster to perform an inspection using a tablet, plus they swivel around to laptop mode when you want. As far as all the other features, I'd get at least a dual core processor 2.0 ghz or more. 120 gig hard drive is fine if you don't do video editing, otherwise go to 250. What else do you plan on doing with the machine?

Dominic Maricic
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.