• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: buying business and/or multi-inspector

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 7 months ago #58778

But hiring another person only helps if you have more work to give them. The question is, why will buying another company give you more work? How has the business marketed themselves in the past?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 7 months ago #58784

Not sure on the details of the marketing.  The business has been around for about 10 years and it's gross income is $80K plus or minus (I'd need to get some of those details etc...). 

My assumption is that if I buy the business then the clients that already go there will give me a call.  I'll have first crack at keeping them happy. 

Goal Line Inspections
fielding your inspection needs
www.goallineinspections.com
Serving: Portland, Gresham, Beaverton and the greater Portland metro area

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 7 months ago #58786

My assumption= Mistake!

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 7 months ago #58787

I agree with Roy on assuming!

Who are your clients? The Public in general. How often does a client purchase a new home? 7-10-20 years???

You can buy a "Lead List" for a whole lot cheaper and possibly get a better ROI.

The mistake most people make when buying a HI business is... THE INSPECTOR is the business. When he/she is gone, the business as you know it dissolves. All that is left is Assets and a Lead list. NO GUARANTEES of anything.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 7 months ago #58817

Jeffrey is right for most inspection companies. There are some with multiple inspectors that market the business and have a large base of agents/clients that call the business often and don't care which of the inspectors they get. That's the kind of business that would be worth while. I'd want to see something like his ISN records to see how busy he really is though. Then of course there's the matter of cost. If there's little business but he want's $1000 for it, then it could be worth it. If it's extremely busy then $100k could be (not the case with annual income of $80k).

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: buying business and/or multi-inspector 9 years 6 months ago #59266

You have to be very careful when buying an existing business.  You may also be buying the past liability along with any prior issues.  If the business is only grossing 80k, it isn't worth much.  Do you get the equipment? computers?  software?  website?  vehicles? anything? a name and phone number?  past tax issues should there be an audit?  Are you ready to become an employer with all the tax ramifications?  What if there isn't enough business and you let the employee go....  what about unemployment insurance or disability insurance?  Ready for the employer taxes?  Or is he a 1099 contractor?

One of my better friends that I went to inspection school with bought a business.  He was paying for years, even after he decided to quit the business.  The selling inspector stayed on with him for 6 months and introduced him to all the regular agents.  Maybe 25% stayed with him.

So unless you are really getting something out of the deal, and you have YOUR LAWYER draw up the contract, spend the money on marketing. 

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.