• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before?

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55265

Were they leaning a mop against the wall in that area?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55267

I'm with Joe! Unzip the vinyl and get to the missing flashing and/or moisture barrier! Common problem is the vinyl sits on the shingles and is not one inch above with step flashing behind. Removing the drywall may only find the result and not the cause.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55268

When vinyl siding is used, I never see a gap and the flashings/wrap aren't visible. 

Jesus is coming again!!

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55273

Like so...
Attachments:

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.JRJConsultants.net

Last Edit: by Jeffrey Jonas.

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55274

You guys are really digging at something that doesn't exist.  If it were roof related, there would be staining somewhere above this point as well and not just at this level.  And staining from water leaking sure wouldn't form multiple straight stains.  I have to agree with the mop theory or something else that was leaned against the wall.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Moisture staining on the common wall. Any one see this before? 10 years 4 months ago #55279

You are entitled to your opinion, just as we are. I see this same moisture staining often enough. Many times it is behind shelving or other such items that would positively eliminate the "wet mop" theory. One difference from your area though... I see heavy snow and thick ice for prolonged periods of time, versus your 'few weeks' at a time (at best), thus we have a much higher propensity for this such problem.

Note: the OP is from Wisconsin, so he shares the same severe Winter weather patterns I do.

Another note: I tend to see this issue more often when the attached garage is not heated, or the heater is rarely utilized, thus opening the discussion to the possibility of a condensation related issue...

Jeffrey R. Jonas

www.JRJConsultants.net

Last Edit: by Jeffrey Jonas.
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.