• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Roof Truss Plates???\

Roof Truss Plates???\ 11 years 2 months ago #51927

1970's house, found these plates on the rafters.  Really  not sure what material they are or if they're sufficient?  Any thoughts???
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Roof Truss Plates???\ 11 years 2 months ago #51932

They look homemade to me  ???

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Roof Truss Plates???\ 11 years 2 months ago #51942

I am in sort of an argumentative mood tonight so I am going to play devil's advocate on all the threads.

Yep, they look homemade.  But that in an of itself is not a defect.  4 nails on the other hand isn't sufficient.  Metal plate gussets would be allowed if they meet an engineers specs.  Normally 20 ga galvanized steel, 1 1/2 inch 11ga nails in a specific pattern.

Early trusses were done with plywood gussets and nails.  Ask any firefighter what they would like as a connector in a burning building.  9 out of 10 will take a plywood gusset and nails or a metal plate and nails over those damn factory installed metal gussets that penetrate maybe 1/4 inch.  Everyday and twice on Sunday. 

Looks hokey to me.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Roof Truss Plates???\ 11 years 2 months ago #51947

yeah, I think the engineered gussets are designed for a specific number and pattern. I was thinking if they are home made, what are they made of? The fender of a 54 Massey Ferguson Farm tractor the homeowner had laying around?

On the other hand, they do look stout, I couldn't tell from the pic, but they almost looked brass.

Are you going to use "hokey" in your report comment, Casey?  ;D

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...
Last Edit: by Michael Clark.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.