• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT..

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51945

Well first I wouldn't be sitting straight up against the wall of the tub so I wouldn't be sitting on the drain.  Try it.  Run into your bathroom now and sit in the tub.  Is your butt anywhere near the first 3 or 4 inches of the wall of the tub?  Not even your skinny buttocks would do that.

So I guess that tubs that fill from the ceiling in multi million dollar homes are incorrect as well?  Some tub drains are in the middle, along one side of the tub.  Some are at one end.  It doesn't matter.  With pop up stoppers, the old toggle style control valve is no longer an issue.

There is no defect.  Unconventional yes, defective no.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51946

really? REALLY?? Don't ya think its SHODDY workmanship? don't ya think that's an indicator that whatever else the person put their hands on might be wrong?
Do you think it more or less likely the pipes are insulated? This was a cheap "REHAB"
its not just unconventional, i mean there is unconventional and then there is backwards ridiculousness.
What about the controls being midway up...You would need to stand up every time you wanted to operate the water..

Seriously the tile was maybe a few months old , so they couldn't have a professional plumber do the piping the right way?

Its not ok - not in my book  -

I am surprised your defending this.. hA HAHAHA

BTW WHY SHOULD AN INSPECTOR CARE ABOUT A "CODE" ???  HOW ABOUT IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG, STUPID, SHODDY AND AN INDICATOR THAT IT WAS NOT DONE BY PROFESSIONALS??

You think this is OK?
really????

HEY ITS STILL ON THE MARKET - MAYBE YOU CAN BUY IT   :)

Oh yeah and comparing it to the construction found in a multi million dollar home is kind of a stretch,, cause im assuming a multi million dollar home had been constructed by professionals.

Illinois- Tribuzio Home Inspection Services

www.thishomeinspector.com   (708) 453 8447

Home Inspection in Chicago land area and surrounding suburbs
Serving Chicago, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, River Grove, Park Ridge and surrounding areas.
Last Edit: by Joe Tribuzio.

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51948

I don't care where the tub drain is located.  They make them with center drains, left side drains and right side drains.  The drain has nothing to do with the supply lines that nowadays can come from the center, ends and even the ceiling.  What if there are double head showerheads?  Do you have to have drains at both sides?  Now if that was the type of drain that required a control handle on the overflow cover, I would call it a defect since you could not lean back at either end.  But to say it is a defect just because it is not directly below the fill valve is incorrect.

Yeah, crappy quality install for the faucets.  Being on an outside wall is not a defect by itself.  Most kitchen faucets and supply pipes are on an outside wall.

Any other issues with the tile?

Identify the issues you can verify and inform the client.  The faucets are installed higher than normal and can be an inconvenience when using the bathtub. 

To call something a defect based on supposition can come back to haunt you.  It is part of the education process you should have with your client.  Some inspectors spend the time to educate their clients, some do not.  Each to their own.  In this case I would have had a good conversation covering these issues, but the written report would not be calling them a defect without verifiable proof.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51949

SORRY but Who ever said LOCATION of drain was in my inspection report as a defect ?
We had a laugh about it, but the sobering thought was - " oh no this idiot went about " fixing: stuff like this??

Sure the water drains away , ok fine but gotta wonder why didn't he do it like everyone else? Did he make sure while reversing the tub that however he did the drain pipe it  is pitching correctly ??.. why did he not have it ( drain ) situated in the normal place.

I called it out as likely not being permitted work and recommended that they request permits.  I noted it was inconsistent with good building practice.
I noted the controls were inconveniently placed. The tile on floor had numerous void spaces and tile at floor and bath enclosure was not sealed.

I'm not afraid to look at something crappy and voice my opinion that i would not feel confident with the overblown chattering about the home being " freshly rehabbed"

again,,, why look at it from the standpoint of  " requirements or bare minimum codes, or the apparent absence of a standard? why not use common sense

It was a home that was originally built in 1929 and winterized and had the original GALVANIZED PIPES so yeah pipes against the wall in Chicago.. May become kind of a big deal.

Illinois- Tribuzio Home Inspection Services

www.thishomeinspector.com   (708) 453 8447

Home Inspection in Chicago land area and surrounding suburbs
Serving Chicago, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, River Grove, Park Ridge and surrounding areas.
Last Edit: by Joe Tribuzio.

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51961

Having the drain and overflow on opposite sides for that style tub is stupid in my opinion.

One for access reasons. Actually the faucet, pipes should be on an inside wall as well as the drain.

I am with you Joe.

Nothing like a drain pattern on your butt after taking a bath. Right Dom!!

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: WELL THAT WAS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.. 11 years 1 month ago #51967

Same challenge to David.  Go to your bathtub and sit on the drain.  Now ask yourself, "is this the position I would be sitting it if I were taking a bath."  Really now.  You are going to sit with your back straight up against the wall of the tub?  Really?  The drain is the deepest part of the tub due to the installed slope.  You can relax in deeper water by keeping your head at that end.  Oh wait, you sit straight up when you take a bath.

IF they were still galvanized pipes I am surprised they still had any flow.  Out here they would have been down to a drip after 80+ years.  Not something anyone could pick out of the picture since the age info wasn't available as posted.  Was the home on a crawl space or basement?  Were the supply pipes visible underneath the bath.  Were they insulated or tucked in the subfloor insulation or between floors?  Did you look at the risers or assume they were original?  If the drain wasn't moved that either means the pipes were moved and may not be the original galvanized, or they were installed at that wall originally.  Did you call out the improper hot / cold shut off valves or was there a mixing valve installed at a remote location?

So someone does a rehab.  Drain is already in one position and since that is the hardest piece of the puzzle to move, they leave it there.  Based on age, the original tub would most likely have been a clawfoot tub that was replaced once or even twice prior to the rehab.

I inspected two rehabs in the last week.  Both were gorgeous on the face.  The client walked on the first one, bought the second one.  You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.  And yes, I have used that phrase verbally with clients but never in written form. 

Interesting comment on the sealed grout.  You are most likely correct but how do you know?  A good seal job is nearly invisible to the naked eye.  There are epoxy based grouts that do not need to be sealed but they are spendy and messy, and surely not used by flippers.

Keep the discussion going.  Don't take anything personal and no need to get snippy.  These types of discussions are good for the industry.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.