• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moisture readings and how to report

Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43960

I have recently completed an inspection that returned 3-4 areas in the home that read high levels of moisture.  I am not sure on how to report it to the home buyer while staying “independent” but offering some “suggestion”.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43964

Where in the home are the high readings?  Floor?  Walls?  Ceiling?  In what room?
What type of moisture meter are you using?  Pin or non-pin.
What type of readings did you get?
Did you get readings from other areas of the interior?  Like in the middle of interior wall?
Need more info to give a proper response.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43965

The home is a single story block home
I received readings of:
56.5% in a closet that containted the AHU (but only one wall)- interior non load bearing
40% - 50% in 2 bedrooms- load bearing walls near windows
I am using a non-pin Extech
All walls in other rooms tested were below 10%

Re: Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43966

What area are you located in?

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43967

South Florida

Re: Moisture readings and how to report 12 years 6 months ago #43983

Moisture meters are tools.  They help you to make a more educated guess.  It is up to the user to decipher the results. 

You mentioned high readings on an exterior wall near windows.  The common next step is to inspect the windows, flashing and weather stripping in and around the windows for probable signs of leaks.  With readings that high there is also likely water staining, soft and mushy sheetrock, mold/mildew staining etc.  Often you can find likley points of water intrusion.  I report the descriptions of water damage, the failed exterior components allowing the water intrusion and mention that representative sample testing with a moisture meter determined moisture levels far exceeding a normal range.  I usually do not include the actual numbers in the report.  I usually have photos of the mositure meter output in my notes for future reference.

With readings as high as 50% there is active moisture intrusion.  You need to do more investigating to narrow down the probable cause of water. 

Bruce Ramsey, ACI
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.